Having a couple of days off work, i decided to head on up and play with the Top planks, and cloths. We also had to make a new deckboard frame, as the dimensions of the first one were for the original hull width and for the longer forecabin.. The bits were fabricated off site and welded together there.
The temporary cloths were bolted through the gunnel upstand so all these had to come off to get to the top planks and start prepping the gunnels. The Temporary planks were removed, they were off the shelf scaff boards so too narrow and thin. I have had some 12″ x 2″ Douglas Fir fresh sawn on stick for a year seasoning, so it was time to get it out and slice to size.They needed about 5/8″ taking off, and chopping to length. The top edges were rounded over with a 3/4″ rounding over bit to alleviate the cloths rubbing through.
New Planks being sized and finished.
Detailing showing curvature of rear plank
Once the planks were done it was time to deal with the gunnels. There was a bit of surface rust which cleaned up easily with a wire brush. A coat of Dacrylate MIO non slip paint applied and focus was shifted to the clamping strips. These were cleaned up with a flap wheel and again, a coat of MIO to blend in.
Once this was done it was time to attach the side cloths. The Upstand has M8 holes every 100mm, which works out at about 145 per side. Good job we have enough fixings! The Side cloth is placed between and drilled through and bolted. The cloths are reinforced at the factory so are double thickness to take additional stress. The Side cloth strings were made in advance, spliced loop on one end.
Side cloth loosely attached and strung
We shall ignore deteriorating weather conditions which royally got in the way of the job, needless to say everything got soaked and the temporary cloths blew off overnight.
I took a morning off to help my parents down the Erewash, which took 5 hours, then jumped on a train and back to it! I managed to get the other side cloth on, and then started on the top cloths. These needed eyes welding to the gunnels, which are half chain links, set 2″ back for the ends of the cloths and in line for the centre eyelets. This took a while, and involved much measuring, and as a one man job was quite laborius. However, a few hours broke the back of it, and before long the end was in sight.
Sidecloths in place prior to topcloths being attached.
Commencing Topcloth fitting
The job was also made difficult as 1645 is also our store at present, so is full of stuff!
2 Days later and results are there to see, the cloths are on, the tippet is yet to be fitted, that’s for another day. Apart from one side of the cabin, there is a coat of primer on ready for a top coat, and bit by bit, the old cloths are gone, and she is starting to look like a boat again. It’s been a long struggle but we’re nearly there.
Stood on the cabintop looking forward
Looking from the bank, including new deckboard
From the opposite bank, showing one cabin side still to prime
That’s all for now, more updates to follow soon!